Tuesday 5 May 2009

MTV Sonic & Knuckles advert disguised as a programme.



Sega in the 90's was 'in' with the MTV generation thing, as seen in this episode of Rock the Rock in which a bunch of kids all with their own international stereotype compete for $25K (just about enough to afford a Sega Multi-Mega/CDX at the time) by playing Sonic & Knuckles located in Alcatraz of all places, though really it's just a 30 minute commercial. Still, it's vagley worth sitting through for the look at the development of the game about 10 minutes in at Sega Technical Institute. See if you can spot the Sonic Extreme concept art! I think I actually remember seeing T-shirts promoting this Sonic & Knuckles contest once. Most embassering moment for anyone involved? The bespeckled kid trying to chat up the female presenter. Oh dear.

4 comments:

Tails Fan!! said...

Hey Check out this awesome youtube vid i found... this fan is really dedicated to the roots of sonic i suggest you check it out!! i fink it deserves to be on your blog lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=631-bIaNYMc

Unknown said...

I was one of the 25 players in the competition. I was only 14 years old at the time and was an awesome experience! Sega paid for my trip to California to film everything and I got to meet Bill Bellamy and Daisy Fuentes. We also had some time to take in the sights. After we were done filming, we had an awards banquet with all the food you wanted to eat. Sega even had video games setup where you could play before they give out awards. I was awarded the "happiest player". Even though I didn't win the 25k, it is an experience I will never forget!

Animated AF said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that Dwayne! :)

Anonymous said...

I also was a contestant flown from newport beach, ca